Sunday, January 23, 2011

Building the Platform...

To save money, my original idea was to use a piece of 3/4" plywood covered with three layers of carpet pad and then covered with another piece of 3/4" plywood for my platform. I thought this would be strong enough because of the cushion the pad created, and I wouldn't have to buy any extra lumber to beef it up. I got the carpet pad for free from a local carpet store and even if you did have to buy it the price is around .17 cents/sq ft for "good enough" pad for this type of project. Really nice carpet pad can cost .90 cents/sq ft but for this project i didn't think that necessary. After constructing the box this way I decided it wasn't sturdy enough though and instead used plywood, 2x12's and then more plywood stacked into a platform. Fortunately for my wallet, I ended up having enough spare 2x12 left to go between the plywood and beef it up sufficiently (still sitting at $164 for the project!!).

After cutting the 3/4" plywood layers, I screwed 20" piece 2x4's to the bottom of the plywood as tabs that would prevent the platform from bouncing around when the weights are dropped. Then I laid down two 40" 2x12 planks side by side on the first bottom layer of plywood. From there the top piece of plywood is screwed down on the 2x12's.

No comments:

Post a Comment